Monday, October 12, 2009

Road Kill

Too tired to write much as we’ve put in two long days on the road, but we do want to get something posted. We left Olalla at 8am yesterday and rolled down the road through Washington and Oregon, into California, driving for 11 hours. We arrived in Anderson, CA just south of Redding and for the first time in our RV life, took Wal-Mart up on its offer of free camping for RVers and spent the night in their parking lot. Aside from the overly bright lights (good security?) and refrigerated 18-wheeler parked nearby that kept its generator running all night, it was fine. The Arctic Fox, our new RV, was extremely comfortable, with easy set-up, and we didn’t bother to unhook the truck. This morning we hit the road again at 8am and made it most of rest of the way through California, to Oceanside, another 12 hours of driving. Traffic through LA was not as bad as we expected, and the rest was an uneventful trip down I-5. All in all, an awful way to spend two days, but after tomorrow the vacation begins. We’re in an RV park with internet access and plan to get an early start in the morning and cross the border at Tecate into Mexico by mid-morning. We hope to get to San Quintin tomorrow night where we’ll spend a couple of days if the weather is good. But we’ll see how it goes. We don’t have the same sense of urgency from here on as we have the last two days. Our next commitment is November 2, when we start school in La Paz. We talked to all our kids and Cathryn’s parents sometime over the weekend or today, and everyone is well and happy. Off to Baja!!!

1 comment:

thesullivans said...

I can't believe you slept in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I can not believe it. Can't believe.

Sorry, it just seems wrong.

I didn't even know what was possible.

But Matt did. I guess I'm just not from Medford? How do you know this?

On another note, I like the new side-bar on the blog. Its neat. I hope the blog role order is by order of most recent update, otherwise I might be offended that we are behind V&L?

Also, I miss you. And love you. And also wish I were there with you. Cuz fall has definitely arrived here.