Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Obama Tree

This picture was taken in September 2008 in Stone Town on the island of Zanzibar, Tanzania. We don’t generally engage in lots of hyperbole (or at least Bob doesn’t), but today is not a “usual” day. It is, instead, an extraordinary day for us, and for the whole world! Barack Obama is our new President, and our standard bearer to the rest of the world. When we were in Tanzania last September every African we met asked in amazement: “Can Obama really be elected President? Are you (what they really meant was – “you as a white person”) really supporting Obama, not McCain?” We heard similar sentiments expressed in Belgium and The Netherlands as well, but the depth of the feeling from the Tanzanian’s was so amazing. I know that many recognize that Obama seeks to represent “change”, but after talking to Tanzanians we appreciate that this sense of change will be felt around the globe by billions of people. In 2002, when Bush was leading us toward war, we said “not in my name”. On January 20, 2009 we can say, proudly, “in my name”.

3 comments:

Mary Crowell said...

Hello From Bridget!

I am enjoying my new home. Mary has moved me down to Nick's room , where I have my own space. I have my bed, food, and litter box all very handy. Joe and I don't talk much, except for the occasional hiss. Joe spends his days outdoors, while I relax in the warmth of the house. I am eating well and loving all of the attention I get from Matt, Katie and Mary. Hope your're having a good trip so far.

Love, Bridget

Anonymous said...

Much better, since you'v got the picture loaded!

BLD

Anonymous said...

what do you think about your 'GREAT LEADER NOW? One cannot run a country on the color of his skin. This country has never been in such a mess as since Obumba was elected. Half the country thanks people like you for helping get this guy in office and put us and our kids in the poor house. The only thing he can run is his mouth!!