Monday, October 4, 2010

Marrakech by Phone

1958_Future_Phone_Booth_paleofuture
Cathryn called from Marrakech this afternoon. It was great to hear her voice. She tells me that it’s an amazing city and that she thinks we should come back there at the end of the trip.  We actually left 3 days unscheduled at the end of our visit  to Morocco so we could have some time to improvise based on what we learned while we are there.

souq
The best news was that after spending the afternoon in the souq (the local market) she learned that her fears of aggressive selling techniques and touts trying to get you to pay them for some kind of services described in the books were greatly exaggerated.   We had a couple of bad experiences with this in Tanzania in 2007, which left a very bad impression, and she’d been worried about it.  It was 10:30 at night her time when she called from an on the street phone booth. It was a little hard to hear what she was saying given all street noises. She says the streets are crowded even late and the drivers are crazy.

typicalstreetscene
On the home front, I applied for the new passport this morning and was told I could come back to pick it up at 2 PM tomorrow!  You can bet I’ll be there.  All my plane reservations are made and as of 5:15 AM Wednesday morning I’ll be on my way. (Note to self, hold onto your passport this time bozo!)

No comments: